Intradistrict and Interdistrict Permits

SGUSD School Board Policy 5117 and Administrative Regulmap permitsation 5117 govern Interdistrict permit release and acceptance:

Interdistrict Permit Timeframe


SGUSD will begin accepting Interdistrict permit requests for the 21-22 school year on May 3, 2021.


Students accepted into a Dual Language Immersion program may apply for an interdistrict permit at the time of acceptance (if the student resides in a different District).


Send interdistrict permit requests after May 3, 2021 electronically to Debbie Grimaldi @ . Please do not submit hard copy requests.


Once a completed interdistrict permit request has been submitted, SGUSD follows Education Code 46600.1 timelines:

  • SGUSD will render its final decision not longer than 30 calendar days for a current year request, or 14 calendar days after the commencement of instruction for the school year for which the Interdistrict transfer is sought.
  • If the permit request is denied by the Superintendent or designee, the family may appeal in writing within 10 calendar days to the Superintendent.
  • The Superintendent has 10 calendar days in which to respond to the appeal in writing.
  • If the permit is accepted, the permit will be granted immediately. If the Superintendent again denies the permit, the family may appeal in writing within 30 calendar days to the Los Angeles County Office of Education.




Intradistrict Permits:
SGUSD values its neighborhood schools. If an SGUSD family wishes to attend an elementary school that is not their neighborhood school they may apply for an intradistrict permit between February 16 - June 18, 2021. The only exception to this deadline is for families who enroll in SGUSD after June 18, 2021.
Contact Director Ruth Esseln for information about intradistrict permit process at or (626) 451-5487.