Dual Language Immersion (DLI) Programs
The San Gabriel Unified School District is proud to offer a Mandarin and Spanish Dual Language Immersion Program that strives to maintain a 1:1 ratio of English speakers to target language learners. Students receive instruction aligned with California State Standards appropriate to their age and stage of linguistic and cultural proficiency. The program is designed to help students gain knowledge about language systems, develop a cultural understanding, and use that knowledge to communicate.SGUSD Offers Dual Language Immersion Programs at these school sites:
- Mandarin Dual Immersion Program K - 4 at Wilson Elementary
- Spanish Dual Immersion Program TK - 5 at McKinley Elementary
- Spanish Dual Immersion Program Grade 6 - 8 at Jefferson Middle School
The 3 main goals of our Dual Language Immersion (DLI) Programs:
- Students will achieve biliteracy in both English and the target language: Mandarin or Spanish
- Students will reach high levels of academic achievement in two languages
- Students will become cross-cultural ambassadors for our schools and community
The goal of our Immersion Programs is to have both heritage and native speaking students with native English speaking students in the same classroom learning collaboratively with the teachers. Dual Language classrooms are integrated with ideally an equal number of heritage/native speaking students and English speaking students. In order to maintain the integrity of a dual language immersion program, there needs to be a balance of heritage/native speakers and nonnative speakers.
You can explore our website further to learn more about the design of our program and its benefits to students.