It is the desire and intent of the Board of Education that K-12 students residing within the boundaries of the district attend the district's schools. The Board recognizes that students who reside in one district may request to attend school in another district and that such requests are made for a variety of reasons. The Board desires to communicate with parents/guardians and students regarding the educational programs and services that are available in the district.
The following are the San Gabriel Unified School District guidelines for an Interdistrict permit. Interdistrict permits are used when students wish to attend a school in a different school district from their primary District of Residence.
SGUSD School Board Policy 5117 and Administrative Regulation 5117 govern Interdistrict permit release and acceptance.
Reasons for Interdistrict Permits
The Superintendent or designee may approve an Interdistrict permit for a student for any of the following reasons when stipulated in the agreement:
- When the student has been determined by staff of either the district of residence or district of proposed attendance to be a victim of an act of bullying as defined in Education Code 48900(r). Such a student shall be given priority for Interdistrict attendance under any existing Interdistrict attendance agreement or, in the absence of an agreement, shall be given consideration for the creation of a new permit. (Education Code 46600)
- To meet the child care needs of the student. Such a student may be allowed to continue to attend district schools only as long as he/she continues to use a child care provider within district boundaries.
- To allow the student to complete the last grade level at a particular school (i.e., elementary school, middle school or high school), even if the student moved out of the attendance area used during the previous year.
- To allow a high school senior to attend the same school he/she attended as a junior, even if his/her family moved out of the district during the junior year.
- When the parent/guardian provides written evidence that the family will be moving to the receiving district in the immediate future and would like the student to start the year in that district.
- When a student whose parent is an employee of the district wishes to enroll his/her child in district schools, the student will be given priority consideration over other incoming permits. If space is available, the following priorities will be used:
- Date of Submission
When recommended by a School Attendance Review Board or by a county child welfare, probation or social service agency in documented cases of serious home or community problems, which make it inadvisable for the student to attend the school of residence.
- When a valid, well defined and articulated curricular program is not offered in the district of residency and the student can demonstrate acceptance into that program for the requested year.
- For significant special personal and/or social reasons. (Documentation may be required.)
Timelines for Interdistrict Permits:
Interdistrict permits for K-12 students for the current or following school year will be accepted at any point during the year. Permits may be accessed online at:
Application MUST BE e-mailed to Student Support Services office: firstname.lastname@example.org An e-mail will be sent to the parent upon receipt of the request. A request is not complete for decision until all supporting documentation is received. Please include all your paperwork with your form.
If you prefer to mail your Interdistrict Permit request, please submit all paperwork to:
San Gabriel Unified School District
Student Support Services -PERMIT
408 Junipero Serra Drive,
San Gabriel, CA 91776
Mailing requests will be delayed due to the office closure. An e-mail will be sent to the parent upon receipt of the mailed paperwork.
If you have any questions or concerns please e-mail at: email@example.com
Applications for Interdistrict Transfer will be accepted beginning May 1, 2020 for the school year 2020-2021.
Please see the reverse side of the permit application for terms and conditions of acceptance and required documentation.
California Education Code 46600.1 stipulates that once a permit has been received, the district will render its final decision not longer than 30 calendar days for a current year request, or 14 calendar days after the commencement of instruction for the school year for which the Interdistrict transfer is sought. If the permit request is denied by the Superintendent or designee, the family may appeal in writing within 10 calendar days to the Superintendent. The Superintendent has 10 calendar days in which to respond to the appeal in writing. If the permit is accepted, the permit will be granted immediately. If the Superintendent again denies the permit, the family may appeal in writing within 30 calendar days to the Los Angeles County Office of Education.
Commonly Asked Questions regarding Interdistrict permits:
What is an Interdistrict Transfer Release?
Interdistrict transfer is a process of application when a student request to attend a school outside of the boundaries of their district of residence. A student is responsible for obtaining a release from their district of residence before they can attend school in another district.
If the student is released, when may they enroll in the district of attendance?
Once a student is released, they must be accepted by their requested district of attendance. Once they are accepted, they may enroll immediately. (Note: a district may have stipulations for attendance, behavior and grades that if not met, may cause the Interdistrict permit to be revoked.)
If my district releases me, may I request entry into any district?
Is there child care at all schools in San Gabriel?
There is a before/after school care option at all the elementary schools and the middle school in San Gabriel.
Is there an Interdistrict permit available for Preschool?
No. Interdistrict permits are for students in grades TK -12. Fee-based preschool programs do not require students to be a resident.
Important Dates to Remember:
Intra-District Open Enrollment for current SGUSD student accepted from March 2 - March 27, 2020
Intra-District Open Enrollment for NEW students accepted from March - June 4, 2020