SAN GABRIEL UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
TITLE: INSTRUCTIONAL AIDE SPECIAL EDUCATION , One-on-One
QUALIFICATIONS: 1. Graduation from high school or equivalent.
2. Complete two years of higher education study (48 units) or obtain
an AA degree or higher or pass a formal District academic
3. Current First Aid Certificate and CPR Certificate Required.
4. Knowledge of:
• Basic techniques and methods for effective instruction of
• Special characteristics related to the instruction of students
with special needs
• Correct English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
5. Ability to
• Project a mature, constructive, stable, and positive attitude in
a learning environment
• Learn pertinent procedures and functions quickly and apply
them without close and immediate supervision.
• Demonstrate an understanding of the basic concepts of child
growth and development, including students with medical
• Execute oral and written directions and follow through, as
• Establish and maintain a cooperative working relations with
• Ability to lift up to 45 lbs.
REPORTS TO AND EVALUATED BY: Principal or designee
JOB GOAL: Under general supervision, to assist with instruction of a child with
exceptional needs as a One-on-One instructional aide in a classroom or
similar resource program as instructed by a certificated teacher; to perform
a variety of instructional and other student-related duties.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assist with instruction and tutoring of a student and reinforce or follow-up on the
2. Encourage the student and help maintain a supportive learning environment.
3. Assist student with assigned special projects.
4. Assist teacher with implementation of Individual Educational Plans (I.E.P.s) and
INSTRUCTIONAL AIDE SPECIAL EDUCATION , One-on-One
may assist in administering a variety of tests and evaluative exercises.
5. Accompany student on field trips.
6. Assist the teacher in maintaining student control and in implementing behavioral
7. Assist the teacher and/or student during the student’s lunch program, recesses or
physical education activities.
8. May be required to attend in-service training programs and workshops, Parent
Information nights, and other activities.
9. Perform specialized health care procedures which may include catheterization, tube
feeding, and other tasks related to the student’s physical needs. (Training will be
10. Assist student in personal hygiene needs, which may include dressing and/or
11. May be required to assist students in boarding and/or riding buses.
12. May be required to assist with the maintenance and adjustment of equipment.
13. May be required to assist in maintaining a clean and safe environment for students
14. Respect the confidential nature of pupil records and school reports.
15. Observe and report unusual or atypical student behavior to the teacher.
16. May be required to attend parent conferences and/or make parent contacts.
17. Possess or be eligible to obtain a valid driver’s license and automobile.
This list of essential functions and responsibilities is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary and work year to be established by the Board.
This is a limited-term hourly employee position. Should the student no longer need the
assistance of an Instructional Aide Special Education, One-on-One, employment will be
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of
the Board’s policy on Evaluation of Professional Personnel.
Approved by: Date:
Reviewed and agreed to by: Date: